Monday, August 12, 2013

Dear Friends and Family


Challenges come into all our lives.
Today I was told that I need a second back surgery.  
On Monday, July 29th,  I woke up in considerable pain and was unable to walk or sit.  A herniated disc in my back has deadened my left foot and given me agonizing sciatic pain down my left leg.
This means the end of my work in construction and the beginning of a new, less impacted, lifestyle. 
Change in our lives presents a perfect moment for appreciation.  Deep and thoughtful reflection on how we got where we are. 
I believe its due to the wonderful people in my life and that’s why Im writing and reaching out today.
In this moment Im at a crossroads.
I feel Ive worked hard to get to this point.  
Sometimes I feel that following a hard work ethic has left me unprepared for the demands Im now going to have to face.  Like my hard work could have been better spent had I reflected a bit at times and made adjustments.   I suppose this is what I'm doing now.

So far since waking up to the pain of a slipped disc and becoming an instant invalid Ive been in to see 3 surgeons and a chiropractor. 
The general consensus is that surgery is inevitable, but theres some confusion as to how this is possible after the first surgery I had.  Basically the point of the first surgery I had was to clear out all the disc material which was bulging into my nerves.  Whats happened now is that some of that material was still in the spine and its bulged into my spinal column/nerves again.  Only this time its causing severe pain and numbness which cannot be ignored,  and must be corrected immediately or I will have permanent damage. 

I’ve had amazing support since this has happened and I’m doing all I can to figure out the best way to treat and recover from this.
Needless to say Im facing a lot of challenges.
If I elect to have surgery again it’s a minimum 8 week recovery.
I am blessed to have Allison, my loving girlfriend, by my side through this.  Her support and help has been amazing.  Along with everyone else especially my Mom and good friend Jim.  My neighbors at home gave me a ride to the ER the first day.  Everyone who's been supportive and who will be I give my deepest thanks.  I hate being a burden and its very hard to ask for help sometimes, but I am deeply grateful to those that have responded and helped.
For some time I’ve been contemplating a serious career transition, and this is my sign that its time.
My goal is to find a fulfilling career that utilizes my skills of management and building knowledge.

Anyone wondering how they can help I ask you if you know of any opportunities that I might be interested in, which would be less impact than the remodeling work Ive been doing for the past 7 years, please let me know.

This situation is a trial in life and a reminder of the good things we do have.  I hope to connect with everyone soon and if you have any experience to share with me please don’t hesitate to get in touch.

Thank You,
Peter Maurer


3 comments:

  1. Thinking of you! Congrats on getting a blog up and running!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pete OMG! So sorry to hear you are going through this. I have some ideas for you (as always!) !

    Call me when you have time to talk.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm enjoying your writing, Pete. Wishing you a speedy recovery. Talk soon.

    ReplyDelete